Monday, 17 November 2008

Remembering our soliders

Remembrance Day always affects me. Perhaps I'm more susceptible as my brother is currently in the Army and has seen much action. This year he represented his regiment at the Cenotaph and made many appearances on the national news with a WWII veteran. The generations standing side by side. They are all war heroes. Chandos is based in Colchester, a large military town with the 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment. As a town we have been subjected to heavy losses this year through the Afganisatan war. Fifteen soliders of the regiment were killed during their posting. These men and women deserve their day of remembrance and at this time I find music a great comfort.

The First and Second World Wars saw great composers such as George Butterworth and Ernest Farrar give their lives for their country and their body of work is a constant reminder of the tragedy of war, Farrar's Heroic Elegy is one of the most affecting pieces of music I've ever heard, along with Britten's War Requiem. Of course much uplifting music has also resulted from these times. Walton's Battle of Britain Suite, The Dambusters, the Marches of Kenneth Alford. These are also stirring works, and capture the pride of the nation.

It never ceases to amaze me the power of music, and last year's recording of Fould's A World Requiem confirmed that music does have the power to bring nations together.

Until the end of November Chandos is proud to offer £1 to the Royal British Legion from every CD purchase of A World Requiem and Remembrance Classics.

I cannot serve our nation as my brother does but hopefully the power of music can help to heal. I will also attempt to do my bit for some military charities. Next year I plan to run two half marathons for Help for Heroes. Follow my progress here...! If anyone has any experience, tips, musical recommendations to help me train through these cold winter months will be gratefully received!

No comments:

ShareThis